Oko-Irese, Kwara State, Nigeria
February 07, 2024
In a bid to equip its inaugural graduating students with the essential skills and mindset for success in the real world, Thomas Adewumi University has commenced a comprehensive Career Programme for the graduating students of the 2023/2024 academic session. The programme, initiated by the Vice-Chancellor Prof. Francisca Oladipo, commenced yesterday with an insightful lecture aimed at preparing the students for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.
The lecture was presented by the Founder and Chancellor of the University, Engr. Dr. J.B.O. Adewumi, his opening lecture, set the tone for the career programme scheduled to start fully on February 26, 2024. Addressing the graduating students, he delved into the theme of 'Preparation for the Real World,' emphasizing the importance of understanding life's journey and purpose. Using a metaphorical illustration with the days of the week representing different stages/ages of life;
Monday (Age 1-10)
He underscored the significance of personal assessment and service to humanity as fundamental aspects of success, saying “we are all created and required to be service to humanity”. The Founder emphasized the importance of corporate dressing to the students; that is the first impression that defines a person.
Highlighting the requisite skills for thriving in the real world, the Chancellor stressed the importance of critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. He encouraged students to seek out partnerships with businesses during their university years to gain practical experiences that complement their academic learning.
The lecture was structured into different modules, with the first module titled "Preparation of Graduating Set for the Real World." Within this module, the Chancellor discussed various facets of university education that contribute to student's readiness for the challenges beyond academia and were identified as crucial components of holistic preparation for the real world.
- Time management skills: Students should manage their time and avoid distractions. There are varieties of social events, part-time work, and sports activities available for the students but they should learn to balance their workload.
- Flexibility, Power, and Responsibility: They should make good use of their power, understand the power they have as university students, and take responsibility for their decisions.
- University fosters Creativity and Innovation: The founder highlighted the role of creativity and innovation in the university. Students have to think critically and come up with innovative ideas for the real world they will be embarking on.
- Professional Networks: He advised the students to build relationships with their fellow students, experienced lecturers, guest speakers, visiting lecturers, and so on. They should network with their peers to build good connections.
- Budget Management: The university serves as a real-life financial boot camp; students have to manage their budgets to meet their needs.
- Exploring interest beyond academics: He encouraged the students not to miss out on discovering their hidden talents and immersing themselves in a world of hobbies, talents and causes that will truly light their future.
As TAU anticipates its first-ever graduating class, the institution remains committed to providing comprehensive support and guidance to ensure the success and fulfillment of its students in their future endeavors. The career programme at Thomas Adewumi University stands as a testament to the institution's dedication to nurturing well-rounded individuals equipped to make meaningful contributions to society.