This programme focuses on the concepts imbibed from the Federal Ministry of Health Training Services, evaluated by the NUC and Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN) to provide sound academic and professional background for the production of medical personnel who will satisfy internationally recognized standards, be able to undertake further training towards specialization, and possess sufficient management skill to play leadership role in the health team as well as invest in entrepreneurship and employ others for the practice of medical laboratory science.
PROGRAMME AIM AND OBJECTIVES
Aim: The Aim of the programme is to produce graduates of Medical Laboratory Science with sound academic and professional skills through rigorous training and empowering them with experiences to imbibe the philosophy of the degree programme.
Objectives: The aim of the programme will be achieved wi th following objectives:
- To instil in students the doctrine that the results produced by the professional is vital in decision taking in the diagnosis and management of ailments and diseases by other members of the health team for effective health care delivery system, or any facility they render their
- To groom students in the intellectual style of learning, studying and principles of research
- To inculcate in students broad and balanced rst principle concepts of medical laboratory knowledge and practical skills along with ethics necessary in clinical diagnostic services, academic and quality assurance in collaboration with other members of the health team in the care of individuals and groups at all levels of health
- To develop the ability of the students to apply their medical laboratory knowledge and skills in solving theoretical and practical problems in laboratory medicine, non-medical employment and as well proceed to further studies in specialized areas of life
- To develop students with the ability to produce biological and diagnostic reagents fabricate and maintain laboratory equipment with patent authority issued for the
- To empower graduates of Medical Laboratory Science with skills that enable them engage in income yielding.
Admission into the degree programme will largely follow the laid down rules and regulations of the University. The requirements will be as follows:
UTME: Five credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations (SSCE 'O' Level) conducted by the West Africa Examination Council (WAEC) or the National Examination Council (NECO) and acceptable score in United Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
Direct Entry: Three 'A' Level passes in Biology and Chemistry or Physics with minimum of 10 points in addition to the 'O' Level requirements,
Certificate of registration as Medical Laboratory Technician issued by the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN) in addition to the 'O' Level requirements
First degree in Life or Biological Sciences with at least second class Upper Division from a reputable University recognized by the University Senate in addition to the 'O' Level requirements.
Transfer: Students already registered in similar NUC approved programmes in universities recognized the University Senate may transfer with transcripts of courses already completed and a CGPA not less than 3.5 on a scale of 5.0 with no carry-over or outstanding courses to pass, can join at a level not above the 200 Level provided they possess (a) or (b) above.
From the Desk of the Head of Department
It is my pleasure to most heartily welcome and congratulate you for making Thomas Adewumi University, Oko, TAU, your preferred University of choice. I can reassure you that you have made the right and wisest choice.
TAU is poised to create an enduring legacy as we will encourage and instill hard work, honesty, ethical decision-making, quality performance and spirit of teamwork within and across institutional boundaries. We guarantee good leadership and recognition of equal opportunities to achieve and maintain the highest standard in all endeavours.
We will keep with our Motto, Vision and Mission statements to build a World Class University recognized for its excellence in capacity building, service delivery and scholarship.
We are deliberately set out to train you, our students, to search for sustainable solutions to human development challenges and arm you with lifelong skills and competencies to develop sustainable solutions to the myriads of challenges faced by the society. We have therefore put in place excellent academic programmes and facilities that will ensure production of well- rounded graduates.
This information handbook is an academic prospectus for the students in the Department of Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) in the University. It is designed to provide you with the basic information on the course list for MLS programme and the synopsis of each course.
I, therefore, advise you to avail yourself with the information provided therein as a guide to the courses to register for in your respective programmes as well as go through details of the content of each course to be offered. You will be well guided on the procedure for registration, regulations governing conduct of examinations in the University as well as the rules and regulations for peaceful and productive living on the campus.
I wish you all the very best in all your endeavours and pray that the Lord God Almighty will crown your efforts with resounding success in this University to enable you go out into the world and be change agents.
Dr B.O. Ojo
Ag. H. O. D. Medical Laboratory Science